Thursday, July 19, 2012

Goodbye to the Cuckoo Marans Cockerels and Hello to our first Marans Egg!!!

I usually don't really like Mondays ... back to work and the real world after a weekend off.  However, this Monday did bring a positive in our lives ... we managed to get rid of the two (MEAN) Cuckoo Marans Cockerels.  A big THANK YOU to Farmer John for taking them off our hands!

As the week progressed nothing was really happening at the "farm" until I came home from work today (Thursday) and saw what my husband had found in the coop.  I was extremely jealous ... I have been checking multiple times a day for about a week now ... hoping and wishing that our new ladies would start laying earlier than I had expected.  Then today at 18 1/2 weeks old one of the Marans laid their first egg!  I'm not sure if it was a Cuckoo Marans or a French Black Copper Marans, however, I am leaning towards the FBCM do to having a friend who bought hers the same week that we got our and hers laid its first egg today!!!

Our first Marans egg ... in with our Rhode Island Eggs collected today!

Look at how small the first egg is out of a chicken ... I can't believe that it is just short of a year ago we got our very first egg ever from the Rhode Island Reds.  Now look at the comparison between the two ... the new, tiny extremely dark speckled egg belongs to the Marans ... the other are the Rhode Island Reds after laying about a year. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful day and week, we are anxiously awaiting for more eggs from our ladies.  We will keep you posted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment