Monday, February 4, 2013

A Wrap Up of Our First Hatch

So, we set our first batch on Friday, January 11th.  Lock-down on the incubator was Tuesday, January 26th.  First pip was Thursday, January 31st at about 8:30 am ... first baby arrived around 5:15 that day.  The last baby (#6) arrived sometime between 2:30 - 7:00am on Saturday morning, February 2nd.  All babies went to their new home on Super Bowl Sunday, February 3rd.

We started the incubator with 19 eggs.  When I went to lock-down the incubator I removed 5 of the eggs since I could see their was nothing in them (they were Rhode Island Reds that were not fertilized).  We ended up having 6 of the remaining 14 hatch.  I am thinking that's not a bad number for our first hatch.  Hopefully the next batch will be better!

Here are our babies from our first hatch!  We ended up with 4 Olive Eggers and 2 Easter Eggers

Linked at:
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Barn-Hop.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Your chicks are so adorable. Way to go on hatching them and I agree, I'm sure next time will be better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by ... I will try to keep the page updated with our following hatches :)

      Delete