Friday, February 1, 2013

Babies #2 and #3

So after the first baby hatched yesterday it seemed like the whole day was consumed with checking the incubator and seeing if anything was happening with any of the other ones.  We had two that that pipped early in the day, but nothing seemed to be progressing very quickly.  When I got up to check at 2am this morning Baby #2 (An Olive Egger also) had hatched and was already drying ... thank goodness Baby #1 finally had a friend to cuddle with.

Here are the 2 Olive Eggers

Baby #3's story is a bit different.  This was the first egg that had a crack in it.  It was Thursday morning at about 8:30 am when I had noticed it.  For the first 6 hours there was no change other than hearing it chirp.  Then it started to make a little progress ... but it was slow.  Finally around 8:30 I thought that it might actually be close to getting out of its shell.  I kept checking on it until I went to bed at 11pm and it still wasn't out ... and when I woke up at 2am this morning ... it was still in its shell.  At this point I was starting to worry, I knew the poor little chick must have been exhausted and when I went back to bed I told my husband that I didn't think it was going to make it.  But when my husband woke up at 6:30am all was well and the little one was out and about!




 
This is the Easter Egger trying to get out of the shell.



Making progress ... but it was still over 20+ hours from first pip to hatch.


Finally it chick arrived safely!



No comments:

Post a Comment