Thursday, March 21, 2013

Wings

The chicks from Hatch #2 are mostly 3 weeks old at this point and are learning how their wings are working.  We had our first one fly out of the brooder today while I had it open (it was only out for a second and decided it wanted to be with its friends.


We also have several that are starting to fly to the top of the waterer and hang out, the bad part about this is cleaning the water gets a thousand times worse (from chicken poop) ... I know from previous years!


I thought I would also share some pictures of the chicks growing ... its amazing how different they all are (all are Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers or RIR x French Black Copper Marans).  I hope you enjoy seeing their journey ... hopefully next weeks pictures are of them in their outside coop!



P.S. The eggs in the incubator are on day 7 ... I think I'm going to candle them today and see how many seem to be fertilized (their are 35 eggs in there - I'm hoping a third are fertilized!!!), and I will keep you all posted.

Linked over at:

The Self Sufficient HomeAcre
 
and

1 comment:

  1. What bunch of little cuties! I'm going through chick withdrawal this spring :) Thanks so much for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop!
    Hope to see you on Thursday at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-h…iveaway-winner.html

    I changed the starting time for the hop to Thurs morning and we'll be announcing the winner of the seed giveaway!

    ReplyDelete